Latest Military Aircraft News
- ?A Theory of the Drone,? by Grégoire Chamayou - A French philosopher asks what drones mean for the moral basis of war.
- Drones at the White House - A drone crashed into the White House lawn early Monday.
- Drones Spotted, but Not Halted, Raise Concerns - Thwarting drones is increasingly becoming a challenge for law enforcement and security officials who are charged with protecting large-scale events like the Super Bowl.
- The Days of Wine and Droning - Whether you support drones seems to depend on whether you live in a crowded space or an empty space.
- White House Drone Crash Described as a U.S. Worker’s Drunken Lark - The man, who was at an apartment near the White House when he lost control of the drone, went to bed before reporting the episode, according to law enforcement officials.
- A Drone, Too Small for Radar to Detect, Rattles the White House - A system to detect flying objects failed to pick up a small drone, raising questions about whether the Secret Service could bring down a similar object if it endangered the president.
- Spain: 10 Die in Greek-NATO Jet Crash - A Greek F-16 fighter jet crashed into other planes on the ground during a NATO training program in southeastern Spain on Monday, killing at least 10 people, Spain?s Defense Ministry said.
- U.S. Drone Kills 3 Qaeda Operatives in Yemen, Continuing Policy on Strikes - The drone strike was a signal that the United States will continue its targeted killing operations in Yemen despite the apparent takeover in the country by Houthi fighters.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.