Latest Military Aircraft News
- Canada Today: Algae Blooms, Fighter Jets and Fund-Raising Trouble - He toughened guidelines on donations, but Justin Trudeau still finds himself drawn into a debate about Liberal Party gatherings with donors.
- One by One, ISIS Social Media Experts Are Killed as Result of F.B.I. Program - American officials say a secretive campaign of surveillance and drone attacks has cut the Islamic State?s ability to inspire attacks in the West.
- Canada to Buy F-18s From Boeing to Shore Up Its Fighter Fleet - The country?s previous administration had planned to buy 65 F-35s from Lockheed Martin, but then wavered over the price, estimated at $45.8 billion.
- Life Is Turned ?Upside Down? as Jets Pound Rebel-Held Syrian Cities - Humanitarian agencies warned of growing violations of international law ? particularly what they called a pattern of deliberate attacks on hospitals.
- Russian Jet Crashes Off Syria While Trying to Land on Carrier Kuznetsov - The Russian Defense Ministry blamed a technical failure for the crash of the jet, a MIG-29.
- Harsher Security Tactics? Obama Left Door Ajar, and Donald Trump Is Knocking - President Obama imposed self-constraints on his use of power in the war on terrorism, but his flexible approach gives Mr. Trump ?a fully loaded weapon,? one critic said.
- Review: ?National Bird? Follows Whistle-Blowers in America?s Drone War - Sonia Kennebeck?s elegantly unsettling documentary explores the United States? reliance on aerial combat drones and the emotional and collateral damage.
- Energy Giants Turn to Drones and Sensors in New Embrace of the Digital World - Amid continuing low oil and natural gas prices, companies are again turning to tech advances to cut costs, raise productivity and expand exploration.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.