Latest Military Aircraft News
- Driver's Family Press Charges Over US Drone Hit on Pakistan - The family of a driver who was killed alongside Taliban chief Mullah Akhtar Mansour in a drone strike in Pakistan has filed a case against American officials, seeking to press murder charges.
- Dutch Firm Trains Eagles to Take Down High-Tech Prey: Drones - When small, off-the-shelf models pose security or other threats, birds have the advantage of grounding them without a potentially dangerous crash.
- Pilot in Deadly Hudson River Crash Is Remembered as a Careful and Dedicated Flier - Friends of William Gordon, 56, who died after a P-47 Thunderbolt fighter plane he was flying crashed on Friday, said he stumbled into aerobatic performances somewhat by accident.
- A Change in Drone Policy? - A reader says the killing of Mullah Mansour may be a signal to Pakistan that the Taliban can no longer move in and out of Quetta with impunity.
- Pakistan Finally Confirms Taliban Leader?s Death in U.S. Strike - An adviser to the prime minister said the American drone strike that killed Mullah Akhtar Muhammad Mansour was a violation of Pakistan?s sovereignty.
- Taliban Name Lesser-Known Cleric as Their New Leader - The insurgency confirmed its former leader?s death in a drone strike, and it said the new one, Mawlawi Haibatullah Akhundzada, would continue the war.
- Drones Pique the Interest of Entrepreneurs - Start-ups are offering services from news gathering and real estate photography to monitoring of farm fields. But the rules are still being written.
- The Hits and Misses of Targeting the Taliban - America?s killing by drone strike of an Afghan insurgent leader is a tempting tactic but bad strategy.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.