Latest Military Aircraft News
- ?From Paradise to Hell?: How an Aid Convoy in Syria Was Blown Apart - Interviews with aid workers, rescuers and residents, along with video and photographic evidence, point to a coordinated attack by Russian or Syrian aircraft, probably both.
- A Mysterious Boom Rattles New Yorkers - The Police Department blamed military F-22s. But Norad said the jets in place for the United Nations General Assembly did not produce a sonic boom.
- It?s Not Like Hollywood: Why U.S. Airstrikes Go Awry - Military officers and experts say that almost all mistaken American strikes over the years have come down to two main reasons: faulty intelligence and battlefield confusion.
- Drone Racing Becomes ESPN?s Newest Televised Sport - Pilots ? look for them to be the stars ? will send their drones through obstacle-filled courses at up to 80 miles per hour in 10 races.
- Israel Denies Claims That Syria Shot Down Warplane and Drone - Two missiles were fired at aircraft that were targeting artillery positions in the Syrian Golan Heights, but neither came close, the Israeli military said.
- Sam Iacobellis, Whose B-1 Bomber Recast the Cold War, Dies at 87 - His development and lightning delivery of 100 stealth bombers to President Reagan in the 1980s was credited with speeding the Soviet Union?s collapse.
- Privatizing Drones - A reader asks if this will mean less information disclosed to the public about the details of such operations.
- New York City?s Firefighting Arsenal Will Soon Include Drones - The Fire Department is ready to launch an $85,000 drone that will deliver high-definition images in real time as commanders decide how to respond to major fires and other emergencies.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.