Latest Military Aircraft News
- China Drone Maker Says It May Share Data With State - The company, DJI, said it was still working out how to deal with the data the authorities request and that it could include data from flights in Hong Kong.
- U.S. and Philippines Bolster Air and Sea Patrols in South China Sea - The American defense secretary, Ashton B. Carter, said the presence was a response to China?s increasing assertiveness in the region.
- A Rookie Learns to Fly a Drone - There are many steps before you can get airborne, including finding a safe area and learning the federal and local regulations.
- At Least 17 Civilians Killed in U.S. Airstrikes, Afghan Officials Say - Officials and elders in Paktika Province said 17 civilians were killed in American drone strikes, while a United States military spokesman said there was no evidence of such casualties.
- Rebels in Syria Shoot Down Government Fighter Jet - The pilot was captured after he parachuted to the ground, though exactly how the plane was brought down was unclear.
- Drones Marshaled to Drop Lifesaving Supplies Over Rwandan Terrain - Zipline, a start-up based in California, raised $18 million and partnered with the small African country to shuttle packages of blood and emergency medicine.
- Somali Militant Leader Believed Killed in Drone Strike - Hassan Ali Dhoore, considered an important member of the Shabab security and intelligence wing, had been under U.S. surveillance for some time.
- Amazon Leans on Government in Its Quest to Be a Delivery Powerhouse - New uses for commercial drones, 33-foot trucks, improved roads and bridges: Amazon and its lobbyists urge officials to support expansion efforts.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.