Latest Military Aircraft News
- Indonesian Military Plane With 113 Aboard Crashes Into City - A spokesman for the armed forces said that none of those aboard the C-130 transport plane had survived the crash into a residential area in Medan.
- Documents on 2012 Drone Strike Detail How Terrorists Are Targeted - British files provided by Edward J. Snowden, a former National Security Agency contractor, include information on how terrorism suspects are targeted and how drone strikes can go awry.
- U.S. Says Drone Killed an ISIS Member Linked to Benghazi Attack - The Pentagon said that a “person of interest” in the 2012 attack in Benghazi, Libya, died in coordinated airstrikes in Mosul, Iraq, on June 15.
- As Stress Drives Off Drone Operators, Air Force Must Cut Flights - Long hours and the psychological toll of the work have forced the Pentagon to abandon its goal of increasing the flights and to instead reduce the number.
- For U.S., Killing Terrorists Is a Means to an Elusive End - Killing terrorist leaders may be a victory for drone strikes, but it has not helped the Obama administration and its Western allies stem the chaos in Yemen and Libya.
- No. 2 Qaeda Leader May Have Died in U.S. Airstrike in Yemen - Yemeni officials and extremists said Nasser al Wuhayshi, the leader of Al Qaeda?s Yemen affiliate, was killed last week; American officials said they could not confirm the reports.
- United Technologies Plans to Sell or Spin Off Sikorsky Unit - A decision on the fate of the 90-year-old company, which makes Black Hawk helicopters, is expected by the end of the third quarter.
- Families of Drone Strike Victims in Yemen File Suit in Washington - The lawsuit, which seeks no monetary damages, is described by the complainants as an attempt to break through the secrecy surrounding drone strikes.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.