Latest Military Aircraft News
- French Hold 3 Journalists in Drone Episodes, but No Link to Earlier Flights Is Seen - The arrests came after a second straight night of unidentified flying objects being spotted over some of Paris’s most identifiable landmarks.
- Monitors of Ukraine Conflict Seek Help - Those in charge of the United Nations-mandated monitoring say more drones, radar systems and access to key areas are needed.
- Regulating the Drone Economy - New measures proposed by the Obama administration include many good ideas but do not do enough to protect the privacy of Americans.
- New Rules Set on Armed Drone Exports - The Obama administration’s move to preserve a lead in a fast-growing market also means wider use of a controversial weapon in the battle against terrorism.
- F.A.A. Rules Would Limit Commercial Drone Use - Proposed regulations requiring daylight flights with craft always being kept in sight might ground planned delivery services like Amazon’s Prime Air.
- What Our Paranoia About Drones Says About Us - Anxiety in the age of democratized aviation.
- Egypt to Purchase Fighter Jets and a Warship From France - The weapons were sold amid growing concerns across North Africa that instability and the rise of jihadist groups in Libya could spread to neighboring countries.
- Afghan Strike Is Said to Kill Commander Linked to ISIS - If confirmed, a strike against Mullah Abdul Rauf Khadim would be the first known military operation undertaken against the Islamic State in Afghanistan.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.