Latest Military Aircraft News
- An Evolutionary Twist and a New Role for Drones - A 400,000-year-old femur recovered in Spain shows that human evolution was more complex than previously thought, and a scientific panel warned of rapid, catastrophic effects of global warming.
- Drones by Another Name - Readers react to Maureen Dowd?s column about Amazon?s new package delivery plan.
- Special Delivery - Some people don?t like Amazon?s new idea for sending packages.
- Pakistan: U.S. Shuts Cargo Routes From Afghanistan Over Drone Protests - The United States military has halted ground shipments of cargo leaving Afghanistan via a key supply route through Pakistan to ensure the safety of drivers.
- Mommy, the Drone?s Here! - Will our chronic consumerism outweigh our rising robophobia?
- Vermont: Burlington Will Get Fighter Jets - The Air Force said it would base its new F-35 fighter plane at Burlington International Airport despite community complaints.
- Amazon Delivers Some Pie in the Sky - The plan announced by the company?s chief to use drone aircraft to deliver packages is visionary, far-fetched and loopy, as well as a useful distraction.
- Drone Surveillance Begins in Congo - The United Nations will start using surveillance drones for the first time in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Tuesday, United Nations officials said Monday.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.