Latest Military Aircraft News
- American Drone Strike Kills 6 in Pakistani Tribal Areas - Pakistani officials said six militants, four of them foreigners, were killed in the strike in South Waziristan.
- Spike Seen in Russian Military Flights - NATO on Wednesday reported an “unusual” spike in Russian military flights over the Black, Baltic and North Seas and the Atlantic Ocean during the past two days.
- Missiles of ISIS May Pose Peril for Aircrews in Iraq - There is strong evidence that Islamic State fighters in Iraq are using advanced surface-to-air missile systems that pose a serious threat to aircraft.
- Amazon Spends and Grows, but Still Wants for Money - Amazon, which announces its quarterly earnings on Thursday, is likely to hit $100 billion a year in revenue next year. But profit seems as elusive as ever.
- 25 Years Ago, NASA Envisioned Its Own ‘Orient Express’ - The National Aero-Space Plane, which was to be able to circle the earth in 90 minutes, fell far short of such predictions.
- Aviation Giant Is Nearly Grounded in Ukraine - The sprawling campus where the Antonov company once designed and built prototypes of the world’s largest transport aircraft — flying whales whose very bulk symbolized Soviet might — lacks buzz these days.
- Australia Says It Will Join Airstrikes Against Islamic State in Iraq - Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Friday that special operations personnel would also be deployed in Iraq. He ruled out airstrikes in Syria for now.
- Seeking Global Role, German Military Stumbles - Germany is trying to increase its involvement in global security after years of reluctance, but its limitations have drawn questions from politicians.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.