Latest Military Aircraft News
- Theodore Van Kirk, 93, Enola Gay Navigator, Dies - Mr. Van Kirk, a navigator, guided a flight that, six-and-a-half hours after takeoff, reached Hiroshima with its atomic bomb just seconds behind schedule.
- Rough Ride for the F-35 - A $400 billion next-generation fighter plane has multiple problems. Congress isn’t listening.
- Boeing Earnings Take Hit Over Problems in Air Force Tankers - Boeing stock took a 2.3 percent dip after the company announced $425 million in charges over a problem with Air Force refueling tankers.
- Drones on a Different Mission - A fleet of remote-controlled aircraft has been deployed, and operators trained, not to conduct military operations, but to protect natural resources around the world.
- U.S. Drone Kills 15 Militants in Pakistan - The strike was the fourth reported in the North Waziristan tribal region since Pakistan began a military operation there last month.
- Rebels in Ukraine Crowed of Past Attacks, but Deny This One - As investigators look into who shot down a Malaysia Airlines jet, the rebels in Ukraine have been using increasingly powerful weapons against hard-to-reach targets.
- Ukraine Says Russian Plane Shot Down Its Fighter Jet - The confrontation on Wednesday night, if confirmed, would mark the first open and direct involvement by Russia?s military in eastern Ukraine.
- Through Lens, 4 Boys Dead by Gaza Shore - A New York Times photographer gives his account of explosions and sudden death.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.