Latest Military Aircraft News
- New Rules for Drones - The Future of Privacy Forum writes that ?best practices can help promote responsible data practices.?
- Seeking to Improve Ties With Russia, Turkey Apologizes for Downing Warplane - The same day Turkey announced a rapprochement with Israel, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan expressed regret about the downing of a Russian warplane last year.
- U.S. Investigates Whether Airstrikes Killed Taliban Hostages - Afghan officials agree that the American military conducted drone strikes in a remote area dominated by the Taliban, but give widely divergent accounts of what happened.
- Here Come the Drones - Now that the F.A.A. has set the rules for commercial drones, it?s time to test them and push for much more.
- F.A.A. Issues Commercial Drone Rules - Previously, companies had to apply for special permission to operate drones. Now a range of businesses may use drones under 55 pounds, but not for package delivery.
- Europe?s Emergency Workers Turn to Drones to Save Lives - A six-month training program for teams from Britain, Denmark, Iceland and Ireland aims to test the use of unmanned aircraft in emergencies.
- Monumental Piece of the Old, Old City of Petra - With the help of drones and satellite imagery, archaeologists have discovered a platform about half the size of a football field at Petra in Jordan.
- Besieged Syrian Town Gets First Food Aid Since 2012, Then Gets Bombed - Relief trucks delivered food to Daraya, a town outside Damascus, but residents reported that it was soon bombed by the Syrian military.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.