Latest Military Aircraft News
- Canada: Trudeau Pulls Combat Jets From Syria, but Keeps Other Aircraft - An aerial refueling tanker and two long-range surveillance aircraft will remain part of the military mission.
- Agencies Battle Over What Is ?Top Secret? in Hillary Clinton?s Emails - At the center of the argument, officials said, is a ?top secret? C.I.A. program that is anything but secret ? its effort to kill suspected terrorists with drones.
- New Jersey Man Is Arrested After Drone Hits Empire State Building - The man, who the police said accidentally flew the drone into the famed skyscraper, was arrested on Thursday after asking security guards for help retrieving the device from a ledge on the 36th floor.
- Qaeda Commander in Yemen Is Killed in Airstrike - Jalal Bala?idi, a field commander for Al Qaeda, had been wanted by the United States, and is believed to have been killed in an American drone strike.
- Drone Captures View of a Devastated Syrian City - A video taken by a drone winding its way through the battered city of Homs contains haunting images of the destruction after five years of civil war.
- Turkey Accuses Russia of Again Violating Its Airspace - Turkey?s Foreign Ministry said a Russian fighter jet entered the country?s airspace after radar units warned it to turn back.
- Thunderous Noises on East Coast Were Sonic Booms, Navy Says - Nine sonic booms, thought by some residents to be the sounds of an earthquake, occurred during the testing of an F-35C fighter jet.
- When Your Neighbor?s Drone Pays an Unwelcome Visit - Spats over trespassing, privacy and air rights are heating up as the little copters become more popular.
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.