Latest Military Aircraft News
- Two Russian Bombers Fly Near Alaska, and U.S. Scrambles Jets - The United States has intercepted Russian warplanes near American airspace several dozen times over the past decade, the military says....
- A Pentagon Test for Boeing?s Mr. Fix-It - Patrick M. Shanahan brings a reputation as an aerospace troubleshooter to his expected nomination for the No. 2 defense job, which others found too big to handle....
- Danish Father and Son Team Up on Homework and Turn In a German Warplane - A homework assignment on World War II, and a father?s jokey suggestion, led to the discovery of a fighter plane thought to have crashed in 1944....
- United States Ramps Up Airstrikes Against Al Qaeda in Yemen - Over the last two days, there have been as many as 30 strikes against suspected militants in the strife-ravaged country, compared with 38 in all of 2016....
- Aboard a U.S. Eye in the Sky, Staring Down ISIS in Iraq and Syria - Surveillance planes continually gathering data are providing details about the day-to-day actions of the Islamic State and helping guide attacks....
- Trump?s Push to Cut Jet Costs Hits a Nerve, but His Demands Face Limitations - The President-elect may be pitting defense contractors against each to force down prices, but military and political realities may intervene....
- Trump Pits Boeing Against Lockheed to Cut Costs of New Fighter Jets - Donald J. Trump?s post on Twitter suggested that Boeing?s pitch may have swayed him to buy more of its F-18s over Lockheed Martin?s F-35s....
- Trump Meets Boeing and Lockheed Executives After Assailing Them on Jet Costs - The president-elect said he was looking to ?bring costs down? on the F-35 fighter jet program and Boeing?s plans to build new Air Force One planes....
Introduction to Military Aircraft
Military aircraft designed primarily for attacking strategic enemy targets and to gain air superiority. The bomber is designed to attack ground targets using bombs and air to surface missiles. Fighters in comparison are small, fast, and maneuverable and are the means by which air forces achieve superiority in the air. The term military aircraft also encompasses helicopters, reconnaissance, tankers and supply aircraft.
1907: US Army specification far 2 seater military airplane with top speed of 64kph (40mph) and a range of 200km (125 miles).
1910: First demonstration of projectiles being dropped from a military aircraft.
1910: German patent taken out for a device allow fixed machine gun from an airplane.
1912: First British armed aircraft, Vickers FB1 ordered by Admiralty. Royal Flying Corps formed.
1913: First aerial combat takes place in Mexican civil War.
1914: First World War begins heralding a new era in aviation.
1915: Aerial bombardment of London by Zeppelin LZ-38. First flight of the all metal Junkers J1
1916: The emergence of Fighter aces begins
1917: First ever land on a ship under way carried out by E. H. Dunning in a Sopwith Pup.
1921: First sinking of a battle ship by an aircraft.
1922: This aircraft carrier USS Langley enters service.
1930: Frank Whittle a 23 year old RAF officer patents the jet engine.
1935: A prototype Douglas DC3 flies for the first time
1939: The second World War begins. The world's first jet aircraft the prototype Heinkle Hr-178 flies
1941: Carrier launched attack on Pearl Harbor. The He-280 becomes the first operational jet fighter.
1942: Me-262 exceeds 539 mph in test flights.
1944: The first V2 missiles are fired at London. The first Japanese Kamikaze mission are carried out.
1945: The B-29 Enola Gay dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
1947: The Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager breaks the sound barrier.
1950: A Mig-15 and F-80 Shooting Star carry out the first all jet combat.
1953: Scott Crossfield exceeds Mach 2 in a Douglas D-558-2.
1959: Gary Powers flying a U2 is shot down over the USSR.
1965: SR-71 Blackbird exceeds Mach 3.